CloneVDI is a very useful tool to makes copies of (i.e. clones) Oracle VirtualBox Virtual Disk Image (VDI) files. It can also convert Microsoft VHD, VMWare VMDK, Parallels HDD (v2), and raw disk or partition image files into a VDI file. CloneVDi is developed by Don Milne.
Note that CloneVDI is not a GUI for VBoxManage (VBoxManage is the command-line interface to VirtualBox), it is entirely stand-alone, using Don Milne's code for reading and writing VDI, and for reading the other supported formats.
- Reads VDI,VHD,VMDK,Parallels HDD,RAW files and physical drives, writes VDI.
- A simple GUI Interface.
- A CLI interface too (for people who like that kind of thing!)
- Ability to compact (discard unused blocks from) the clone, with no need to run sdelete/zerofree first.
- Ability to enlarge the maximum size of a virtual disk, optionally enlarging the main partition too.
- User choice to either keep the old UUID or generate a new one for the clone.
- Some useful diagnostics about the source VDI, such as the partition map and the internal fileystem.
- Better feedback while cloning: a progress bar and an estimated time to completion.
- It seems to be significantly faster than "VBoxManage clonehd".
- Open source.