Artha is a free cross-platform English thesaurus that works completely off-line and is based on WordNet. It focuses on high usability, without trading off simplicity and ease of use. It has the following distinct features that increases its usability:
- WordNet - Artha harnesses the extensive & in-depth database provided by WordNet. Unlike other dictionaries which goes on-line for every single lookup, Artha works completely off-line; thanks to WordNet for its excellent and cognitive database.
- Hot key Lookup - When you press a pre-set hot key, after selecting some text on any window, Artha pops up with the selection's definitions looked-up.
- Regular Expressions Search - When a word is vaguely known I.e. the user is unclear of its spelling or when it's start/end alone is known or when the number of characters is known; one can speed up/narrow the search using regular expression to locate the particular word they have in mind.
- Notifications - Artha can show passive notifications (balloon tips) instead of the application's window popping up, so that you can continue what you were doing, uninterrupted. (like reading, writing, etc.)
- Suggestions - When a misspelled word is queried for, Artha gives you its near-match suggestions.
- Relative to Sense Mapping - Relative words like synonyms, antonyms, etc. that are displayed are many. You might not know to which sense/definition of a word does a relative map to. In Artha, when you select a relative, its corresponding definition is scrolled to and highlighted for easy